Thursday, December 11, 2008


Thurs 11th
This week has seen the arrival of our two new goats. They are called Mama and Princess; both female and mother and daughter. They are very tame although a little timid. My only experience of goats was being butted by my uncle’s goat when I was a child, at which point I took an immediate dislike to them! However, I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for the moment, and so far they have given me no reason to suspect them. The mother is apparently still giving milk, although the daughter has long since stopped feeding. We have tried to have a go, but she is very wary of us going anywhere near her udders and we don’t want to frighten her. The previous owner told us that the last time he milked her was two weeks ago. If anyone knows how long it takes for a goat’s milk to dry up then I would appreciate a comment, because I don’t know if it still worth trying to milk her!


We have started reading Anne Frank, which I get the feeling the boys are finding boring. It can’t be as bad as Robinson Crusoe! I can remember reading Anne Frank as a child although I don’t remember whether I enjoyed it or not. We’ll persevere. I think it’s one of these books in which the impact is from what is left unsaid rather than what is said and also in the reflection of Anne’s fate afterwards.


Formal lessons have again gone by-the- by this week. We just don’t seem to have time for them! Admittedly the children have worked on their French and maths, but alone because Grandma has left them a lot of ‘homework’ whilst she is in England.

No comments: